Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another DIY: Holy Chic Shirt???

As previously mentioned, I really wanted to make this beaded "Holy Chic" shirt from that I found on Asos.com (I seriously could window shop online there for hours)

The crafter in me was really excited to make a budget friendly version of this shirt. The wheels were turning and I knew this was going to be great. The original version of this shirt had beaded letters and there was no way I was going to sit there and bead 1000 little beads onto a shirt. I thought of just gluing the beads on but that could turn out terribly. Then I thought about glitter... that is just too messy. And then ding! What else is sparkly? Sequins! (I am a little embarrassed it took me so long to think of) And the good thing about sequins is that you can buy them on a string:


So I got my sequin string and some fabric glue at Joann's. I found a shirt on clearance at H&M and it was an extra 50% off. Things were going swimmingly. I tested out shaping the letters and it was a breeze. When I got home I lightly drew the word "HOLY" on the shirt with the pencil. I measured out the height of the letters and how much sequin string I needed. Then I got distracted by who knows what.... When I continued on my project, I forgot that I had previously and carefully drawn out the letters. I just started gluing with no regard to spacing at all.


If you look closely (or from 50 yards away) you can see the letters I wrote with pencil earlier... and how far off I am from them! In my defense, the lighting in this picture made the pencil show up way more. So I continued on with the letters - taking pictures for the blog and thinking about how clever I was.... 

 You can see how far down from the top of the shirt this was going to end up... I could not.





This looks messy but the glue dries clear.

It wasn't until I finished with the L that I saw my previously written "HOLY" and how not centered this was going to be. Hahaha and this glue is permanent so HOL was stuck in the middle of my shirt whether I liked it or not. After some laughter and brainstorming, the hubs came up with something I could write instead of Holy Chic -


I present my "hola HOLA" shirt. At first I was a little upset because I really wanted the Holy Chic shirt. But hola Hola grew on me. I think Dora the Explorer has a song called Hola hola. Haha anyways this DIY didn't turn out as expected but you can learn from my mistakes and not get distracted or just look at the big picture when you are working on a DIY. You can easily use these steps to make your own Holy Chic shirt or if you like hola HOLA, you can do that too! The bottom line is it is a do-it-yourself,  so make it your own and don't take it too seriously. Laugh about the "mistakes" you make and it will all work out in the end! If not, then at least you didn't pay $216 dollars for a tee shirt!

Here's some more pics with how I styled my Holy Chic   Hola Hola shirt!




Top: DIY :) / Pants: old from Love Culture, similar here and here/ Heels: Louboutin, similar here / Watch: Charming Charlie / Bracelets: see here / Sunnies: Prada / Necklace: Jcrew, sold out but come back soon for a super deal just for my readers


Thanks for reading!

Xxxxooo

natalie





No comments:

Post a Comment