Sunday, February 10, 2013

pickled


Today, I had to teach the Relief Society lesson in church. Or I guess I got to teach, lucky me. I really don't mind teaching, I've always liked it at least after the fact. Today I was quite nervous since we are in a new ward. The church building seems to always be ten degrees colder than I like it so I am always freezing. Since I was nervous for my lesson today, I got really hot but my extremities were still freezing. I couldn't feel my fingers but I was like breaking a sweat.  My body was so confused.
Anyway, back to my lesson. I got to teach on a lifelong conversion to the Gospel. I actually really enjoyed preparing for it. My whole Saturday was spent preparing for the lesson. And by preparing I mean baking 75 pickle shaped sugar cookies. I know what you're thinking.. Pickles? Yes pickles. President Lorenzo Snow had a wonderful metaphor of pickling cucumbers to converting to the Gospel. Thus the dozens of pickle cookies. I thought they turned out pretty cute actually! But after decorating so many cookies, they stopped looking like pickles and started looking like a bunch of green smiley faces... so I hope they looked like pickles to everyone else! Take a look





This was the full quote:
I will [present a] figure in regard to bringing about and getting this spirit in us, and digging deep that we in the time of storm, may not be driven off. Place a cucumber in a barrel of vinegar and there is but little effect produced upon it the first hour, nor in the first 12 hours. Examine it and you will find that the effect produced is merely upon the rind, for it requires a longer time to pickle it. A person’s being baptized into this church has an effect upon him, but not the effect to pickle him immediately. It does not establish the law of right and of duty in him during the first 12 or 24 hours; he must remain in the church, like the cucumber in the vinegar, until he becomes saturated with the right spirit, until he becomes pickled in ‘Mormonism,’ in the law of God; we have got to have those things incorporated in our systems.
I really enjoyed learning about ways to strengthen my own testimony and I highly suggest you read it. I also enjoyed making delicious sugar cookies and I can say that they're delicious without sounding pompous because they are my momma's freakin amazing recipe. Which is currently top secret but maybe I'll decide to share it sometime.
Now on to tackling my next project - DIY studded everything! My current obsession.   

xo

2 comments:

  1. Nat! You blog now! You are so cute, and have always given great lessons in RS- I remember them :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute bo :D i love your pickle cookies... and i must say Milwaukee pickles are the best. Good taste my friend :D

    ReplyDelete