Sunday, March 17, 2013

diy jcrew flower lattice necklace



Recently I came across the most lovely necklace from J.Crew
Photo Credit: [J.Crew]
It is seriously gorgeous and I knew that I needed to have it. But beauty doesn't come cheap, this baby will cost you $228. So I tried to forget about it and move on to my next covet-worthy item. But I couldn't, it was haunting my dreams (yes I sometimes dream about clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. haha) So I thought, it's nothing more than some pretty brooches strung together on a necklace right? And I set out to make my very first homemade piece of jewelry.

I first ordered some different rhinestone brooches and buttons from Etsy. I found this set of J.Crew-esque buttons for relatively cheap: 

Rhinestone Buttons (here)
I also got a few larger brooches to complete the look. This Etsy shop is actually perfect for finding brooches. You can also find them in other Etsy shops or on Ebay. After I got my brooches/buttons I just went to Michaels and got a necklace chain and some jewelry wire. You could also use just a jewelry chain and get a lobster clasp but I was too lazy so I just got this 18 inch necklace chain that already had a clasp. These were all my supplies:
Total cost of this project: Less than $30

After that I basically arranged my brooches into the design I wanted and started stringing them together with the jewelry wire. I started with the the largest brooch and attached it to the chain. Then i used the jewelry wire to attach the adjacent brooches. It took a LOT of trial and error until I felt like I got it right. So don't be afraid to undo all the work you just did and start over. 

This was my rough draft:


This is the finished product after a few tweaks! I'd say I got it pretty close to the actual thing! 


The chain is different of course but you don't really see it when you're wearing it! See:




Anywho, I was pretty proud of myself for this one! High fives for DIY projects!

Xxxxooo


6 comments:

  1. you are pretty awesome bo... pretty dang awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely caved & splurged on the J.Crew one....(for a wedding)...I LOVE this tutorial though - your necklace is beautiful!!! I think I'll be trying out my own designs & ideas..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Ah I was very close to splurging on it! It's such a gorgeous necklace!

      Delete
  3. Great job! I recently DIY'd the multi-color version of this necklace using brooches, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds amazing! I would love to see it! :)

      Delete
  4. Um so I found your blog.. I hope you aren't freaked out that I've been stalking you;) you are so dang cute, in and out & not only do I need you to so for me but I need you to help me make this necklace!!! I LOVE it. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete