Sunday, May 19, 2013

Come into the Temples



Today I was able to teach Relief Society at church. I always feel totally inadequate when I have to teach a class but in the end I am so grateful for the opportunity because I learn so much from preparing. 
The lesson today was about temples. It can be found here. I am an object lesson kind of girl so I was set on coming up with some kind of thing like the previously blogged about pickle lesson. Since the lesson talked about doing temple work on behalf of our ancestors, I thought I would focus in on that aspect. This is what I came up with.
I asked for a volunteer and brought out this baby out to bribe people to volunteer:

It is a decadent fudgy brownie with a delicate cream cheese frosting topped with fresh fruit and dark chocolate shavings. (it is also ridiculously easy to make, recipe to follow).
Needless to say, I got a volunteer pretty quick. I told the volunteer she couldn't bend her arms, waist, or legs. Basically she had to act like she didn't have joints. I put the brownie plate in her hand and let her struggle to try to eat it for a bit. I then asked for another volunteer that would help her eat the brownie. The brownie is like exaltation. One girl was the dead one and one was here on earth. The spirit girl needed the one on earth because she didn't have a body. The message is that there are things we cannot do for ourselves. Another person must do it for us. Our ancestors are waiting for us to do their work. They can't participate in the gospel until we have done it. But many of them are listening and waiting for us to help them. I also pointed out how excited the "spirit girl" was when she saw the brownie and how she really wanted this work to be done for her!

It was kind of a silly little exercise but it got the point across and allowed me to tie in a little handout/treat. I made miniature versions of the brownie in a mini muffin tin with a single raspberry. 


 I put the little brownie bites in cute little boxes that you can find on etsy at seriously my favorite place to get things for handouts, shower favors, etc. I also got the cute lace tape that I put on the top of the box. Seriously how cute are these boxes! They are 2x2 so it is a perfect fit for brownie bites or mini muffins! You can find them and a billion other cute things at Chickydoodle's etsy shop here


 This is my brownie handout mass production process in pictures:





And this is the war zone


But I think it was worth it because I ended up with this tower of delicious "I-hope-you-go-to-the-temple-more-and-think-of-temple-work-when-you-see-brownies" handouts in a cute little pyramid! 

(Disclaimer: I took this with my phone so don't mind the fuzzy picture, just join me in relishing in the fact that the boxes fit perfectly in my tray in a 25/16/9 pyramid! woo woo!

The beauty of this idea is that it is so simple. It can be used for a Relief Society, Young Women's, Primary, or Family Home Evening lesson. You can use any kind of treat! Cookies, brownies, chocolates, anything really as long as it's sweet!

~

Since we were talking about something as sacred as temples I did want to take things to a more spiritual point and talk about the blessings we get from participating in temple ordinances. I found some amazing quotes from our church leaders that I want to share:


President Hinckley: I would hope that we might go to the house of the Lord a little more frequently. I encourage you to take greater advantage of this blessed privilege. It will refine your natures. It will peel off the selfish shell in which most of us live. It will literally bring a sanctifying element into our lives and make us better men and women.If there were more temple work done in the church there would be less of selfishness, less of contention, less of demeaning others. The whole church would increasingly be lifted to greater heights of spirituality, love for one another, and obedience to the commandments of God. - Taken from the Nov 2004 Ensign

President Faust: We unavoidably stand in so many unholy places and are subjected to so much that is vulgar, profane, and destructive of the spirit of the lord that I encourage our saints all over the world, whenever possible to strive to stand more often in holy places. Our most holy places are out sacred temples. Within them is a feeling of sacred comfort. - "Standing in Holy Places"; May 2005 Ensign

President Monson: Until you have entered the house of the Lord and have received all the blessings which await you there, you have not obtained everything the Church has to offer. The all-important and crowning blessings of membership in the Church are those blessings which we receive in the temples of God… Come to the temple and place your burdens before the Lord and you’ll be filled with a new spirit and confidence in the future. Trust in the Lord and if you do He’ll hold you and cradle you and lead you step by step along that pathway that leads to the celestial kingdom of God. 


The statement on the outside of every temple reads “Holiness to the Lord, the house of the Lord." Temples are his sanctuaries here upon the earth.  I hope we will have a greater desire to attend the temple and claim the blessings and protections that have been promised by the prophets. I encourage everyone to visit one of our temples, even if you can't go inside. The beauty and the spirit on the temple grounds is even worth the trip.

~

If anyone is curious of the super simple and delicious cream cheese goodness that I put on the brownies, I will share my secret:

EASIEST, YUMMIEST CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE

1 package of cream cheese
1 to 1 1/3 cups of sugar (depending on how firm you want the frosting)

Mix until blended and add 1 container of thawed cool whip (not super thawed, just soft enough to mix with the cream cheese)

And that's all! Ta-da. It's so easy and I literally put it on everything. 

~



Xxxxooo, 

natalie 



No comments:

Post a Comment